THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.
The events of that day of October are still very fresh in my mind like the first beam of light glittering on a sail - despite the fact that they happened exactly a decade ago. When I realized I had to sit for the exams in a sickly condition, emotions flashed across my face like the sweep of sun-rent clouds over a quiet landscape. I knew very well that my condition was going to affect my performance. The imagination of seeing an opportunity of improving my life melting away like snow in a thaw, made me filled with fear and trepidation. My heart was thumping so loud that I was sure everyone around me could hear it. I felt like I was being cornered and trapped, with no where to go.
The silence in the exam room was eerily unnatural like a dawn devoid of bird songs. The pupils of my eyes became dilated and there was tremor in my hands. The thought of poor performance scared my mind Like phantoms gathered by the sick imagination. I quickly scanned the room, avoiding eye contact with my fellow candidates, then went straight and sat on my desk.
As the light began to intensify, so did my misery. I struggled throughout the examination period. It was a period of misery, frustrations and depression - at one point I had decided to quit; but my family and friends successfully persuaded me to complete.
When the examination period ended in November, I hurriedly cleared with the school administration and quickly left the school premises. I got a temporary reprieve.
After three months, the Kenya National Examination Council released the results. It was the moment of truth. I followed the proceedings of the ceremony far from my home village. During the ceremony presided over by the then Minister of Education, the council announced the top students as well as the schools that had performed well. An SMS number was displayed for whoever wanted to get the results via a text message. The text messaging process was characterized by delays occasioned by the traffic. After trying severally, I got my results - I had performed poorly.
Many were surprised by my score, but I wasn't. It was something that I had expected. I had to swiftly take the next course of action knowing very well that the journey ahead wasn't a walk at the park. I packed my clothes and traveled to one of the counties which is popular with tea growing. I wanted to be far away from my home village. I didn't want anyone to remind me of my good academic reputation that once swelled like a sponge. I needed peace of mind even as I embarked on a journey to rewrite my history.
Getting an admission in one of the schools in my new destination was a big challenge. I approached the school's administration but they declined my request.Even after begging and cajoling, my pleas fell on the deaf ears. I floundered like a huge conger-eel in an ocean of uncertainty to find a second chance. I finally settled on unpopular alternative of doing it independently - as ae private candidate. I had to make extra effort to improve my performance since the route I took involved doing private studies in preparation to compete with candidates who had well equipped facilities and teachers.
When the second chance arrived, it found me in a perfect state of mind. I thank God for the good health and the energy He gave me. I had a very peaceful time. The experience was a seismic shift from what I went through previously. I felt sheer bliss as I walked into the examination room having prepared to tackle the exams. The serene mood swept over me as I sat down in the exam room writing down answers to the questions.
I kept praying and hoping for the best each day. Three months later, The Kenya National Examinations Council released the results. I waited expectantly to receive my results via the SMS - but as usual, it delayed. After waiting for the reply for more than twenty four hours, I decided to visit the district education offices - it was there that I received my results. I had miraculously performed well - Glory to GOD!. Though I didn't hit the high target that I had set,the performance was a humongous improvement compared to the previous one.
Wow!!!
ReplyDeleteThe faithfulness of the Lord.
great one.glory to God. you made it.
ReplyDeleteGood piece of writing
ReplyDeleteMmmmmh....Good flow here!!!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed.Keep going.
Wow!very interesting piece...
ReplyDelete